My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Pet Food Recal II

I've been trying to stay up on the pet food recall news, as it gets continually worse. The latest seems to be that not only wheat gluten, but also possibly rice and corn derivitives may be contaminated with plastics and fertilizers (which can fool lab tests on the quality of a protein source) .... Spiking theorized in pet deaths. If you have a pet, you'll know it's not easy to find a food that doesn't contain wheat, corn, or rice. I've been lucky (so far) that I feed Kermit mostly Fancy Feast canned food (Purina) which doesn't have any of those three. I've had two cats die of kidney disease, one of bladder cancer, and Kermit already has kidney disease, so I guess I'm more worried about this than the average person.

If you want to stay abreast of the subject, try this page from the U.C. Davis School of Veterinary Medicine - it has a lot of helpful links

And here's the FDA's pet food recall search page, where you can check to see if a certain kind of pet food has been recalled


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home