My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Mission, again

Since I've been watching movies on my computer, I've been re-renting old films I'd never seen on DVD before ..... this week it was The Mission..

The Mission is a 1986 British film about the experiences of a Jesuit missionary in eighteenth century South America. The film was written by Robert Bolt and directed by Roland Joffé. It stars Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons, Ray McAnally, Aidan Quinn, Cherie Lunghi and Liam Neeson. It won the Palme d'Or and the Academy Award for Best Cinematography. In April 2007, it was elected number one on the Church Times Top 50 Religious Films list. The music, scored by Italian composer Ennio Morricone, was listed at #23 on AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores.

Doubtless you all know the story, but here are some pics ....


- the Jesuits bury their brother killed by the Guaraní Indians


- one of the Guaraní hands Gabriel back his broken oboe


- Gabriel comforts the slave trader Rodrigo when he comes to terms with what he's done


- the representative for Portugal (and his pet sloth! :) ..... Portugal and Spain haggled over territory in South America while working to suppress the Society of Jesus in Europe


- sadly, things don't end well

6 Comments:

Blogger cowboyangel said...

Great film. I saw it by myself on a huge screen in Colorado Springs one afternoon, while waiting to go to a conference. I've never cried like that at a movie, before or after.

4:16 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

It would be great to see it on the big screen. I've only seen it on tv. Still made me cry, though :)

6:45 PM  
Blogger Liam said...

Great movie. I've seen it a couple of times, but I'd like to see it again.

5:08 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Liam :)

10:50 AM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

But did you cry, Liam?

11:22 AM  
Blogger Liam said...

I always cry, cowboy.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home