My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 06, 2009

Pisa Baptistry



Today's picture on my Italy calendar is the Pisa Baptistry - something I missed on my one visit to Italy. Here's a little about it from Wikipedia ...

The Baptistry of St. John (Italian: Battistero di San Giovanni) is a religious building in Pisa, Italy .... completed in 1363. It's the second building, in the chronological order, in the Piazza dei Miracoli [Square of Miracles], near the Cathedral [the Duomo] and the famous Leaning Tower. The architect was Diotisalvi .... Constructed on the same unstable sand as the Tower, the Baptistry (as well as the Cathedral) leans 0.6 degrees toward the cathedral.

And some pics ....


- the entrance to the Baptistry


- interior


- the Baptistry, the Cathedral, and the Leaning Tower (click to enlarge)


4 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

Nice pictures. I love Pisa.

4:29 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Another place you've been that I haven't :)

4:57 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Aren't they ever going to fix that damn tower?

:-)

Quite beautiful. Would love to go there. At least you've been to Italy!

You know, I think you should start making up names of places and see if Liam says he's been there.

Crystal: "Here's the incredible 12th century Polish-Bavarian Hindu Orthodox Cathedral in Cornflakes, Hungary."

Liam: "I love Cornflakes. Especially the cafe next to the cathedral."

3:26 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Ha :) Actually, I have been one real place that Liam's never been - Bari, the home of St. Nick's relics.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home