My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 21, 2009

Did the universe begin?

I'm still reading Keith Ward's book on the big questions in science and religion and one of the questions is about how the universe began. Most scientists support the big bang theory of the universe's beginning (the Church is on-board with this) but there are also some other explanations by guys like Stephen Hawking (quantum cosmology?) that aim to compensate for the ways the big bang theory disappoints (you can read more about this at counter-balance). I'm wondering what this all has to do with the idea of creatio ex nihilo, or creation out of nothing - need to read more.

Meanwhile, here below is a video I saw today of an interview/talk with Marcus Chown, cosmology consultant for New Scientist magazine, that touches on this stuff above. Only the first part of the talk may have embedded, so to watch all of it go here ......




10 Comments:

Anonymous Paul Maurice Martin said...

And maybe this is just tautological, but I've wondered: if creation was out of nothing, are we really sure that nothing isn't some kind of something??

8:25 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Paul,

Yeah, I don't know enough about the idea of creating out of nothing and I guess that in some circles, it's not so important that God did this as that he somehow sustains a contingent world - I need to read more on the subject.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the fact is?
the universe always was here?

the creation. new matter or the
expansion of matter,and would we ever know.
and are we suppose to know.

10:33 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

removed,

Thanks for the comment. Are we supposed to know? Interesting question.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Mike L said...

Hi Crystal,

As I understand it, the problem with the big bang theory is that as you approach the beginning, the equations that describe the universe become discontinuous, and this is anathema to science. This does fit with the idea of a creation out of nothing, which we are not well equipped to comprehend.

For one thing, I think it kind of implies that before the universe "began" that there was no time. I, for one, certainly am incapable of comprehending a situation where there is no time, which seems to me means that nothing can happen or change.

12:05 PM  
Blogger victor said...

Talk about Quantum theory and being in two places at one times! Did you know that one of my cells when to school with Fred Watson!

Yes that’s true cause sinner vic told me! Separate school! He went to one and I went to the other! :)

All kidding aside, and as they say, these fascinating ideas are still speculation without God explaining them to U>S , His Children!

1:12 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Mike,

So there was no time or space before the big bang? I guess Hawking thinks there was always something, that there was no nothing and then something? Ouch, my head hurts :)

2:23 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Victor,

Yes, all speculation.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crystal,as a catholic convert,you seem wonderfuly open minded,youre perspectives make a very interesting read,you do not have that dogmatic edge on your site,more please.

12:50 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Removed,

Maybe many converts are like this - their beliefs are pretty much formed already when they join the church? Some would say I'm heterodoxically open minded but really I'm just unsure about most stuff, not open-minded :)

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home