My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Theistic evolution and the film Creation


- Paul Bettany as Darwin

Lately I've been thinking a lot about theistic evolution, so I was intrigued when I saw mention of a new movie about Darwin (HT to MadPriest). This British movie, titled Creation, is ....

[...] an upcoming biographical film about the life of Charles Darwin. It is directed by Jon Amiel and stars married couple Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly, as Charles and Emma Darwin. John Collee wrote the script based on Randal Keynes's biography of Darwin titled Annie's Box. The film had its world premiere on September 10, 2009 at the Toronto International Film Festival, and it was selected as the opening night Gala Presentation for later that evening, the first non-Canadian film since 1996 to be so honoured.

The film is reviewed at Christian Today, which mentions that the movie hasn't yet secured US distribution because of the opposition of some Christian groups.

Here's the trailer ....




6 Comments:

Blogger PrickliestPear said...

It's not quite accurate that the film "hasn't yet secured US distribution because of the opposition of some Christian groups."

The filmmakers have said that they believe no US distributors have picked it up because they don't think it will sell in the US, where (apparently) only 39% of the population believes in evolution.

I find that very hard to believe. A lot of films are released that appeal to a much smaller demographic than this film would.

The economy is more likely to blame. A lot of films had difficulty finding distributors at the Toronto festival this year for that reason.

I have a feeling they are hoping to stir up a controversy, in the hopes it will pay off at the box office later on.

8:02 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi PrickliestPear,

The Christianity Today review says ...

Creation has yet to secure a US distribution because of opposition from some Christians there ...

but I bet you're right. I hadn't thought of that but I bet it would get the movie more publicity. One of the comments at MadPriest's post wondered if the problem was that an American audience isn't very interested n historical films. As you say, it's probably all about money/the economy.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started a search on whether there are writings available from those who believe as I do - along the lines of Theistic evolution.
The debate has divided into extreme corners, and the most vocal I have heard are creationists claiming anyone believing evolution somehow don't believe in God.
I always found this proposed agenda by creationists flat out illogical , although I am sure that there are some that fit the bill.
My belief is whether the earth is billions of years old or 3000 possibility can have compatability with the bible.
Anyways, after finding the term that roughly fits my thoughts - "theistic evolution", I was delighted to find in my recent trip to England that many do not have the shrill paranoia about Darwin, in fact pleasantly, they find his discoveries compatable, and celebrating the existance of God.
How refreshing !
And it was interesting to find this blog.
Thanks for sharing !

3:45 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks for the comment :)

4:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The quote did not come from Christianity Today but from Christian Today. They appear to have nothing to do with one another. I have searched the Internet for opposition from major Christian groups and have not found any. Answers in Genesis has a review at http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2009/09/25/creation-in-the-making. They are not the movie and its appearance. They also talk about Paul Bettany visiting their museum and being good-natured.

7:20 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

You're right - thanks for the correction. I'll fix my post. And thanks also for the link.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home