My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Detachment bad :)



This week's movie rental was Tron: Legacy, a 2010 science fiction film starring Jeff Bridges, Bruce Boxleitner, and Garrett Hedlund. The film is a sequel to the 1982 sci fi movie Tron. Basic set-up/plot from Wikipedia ...

In 1989, Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), an innovative software engineer and the CEO of ENCOM International, disappears. Twenty years later, his son, Sam (Garrett Hedlund), who became ENCOM's controlling shareholder after his father's disappearance, takes little interest in the company besides an annual practical joke on the board of directors. Sam is visited by his father's friend and ENCOM executive Alan Bradley (Bruce Boxleitner), who urges Sam to investigate a mysterious page originating from Flynn's old arcade. While exploring the shuttered arcade, Sam discovers a concealed computer laboratory and unintentionally transports himself to the Grid, a virtual world inside the computer.



Sam finds his father within the Grid and wants them both to fight their way out of what's become a coded evil empire ruled by CLU, a digital copy of Kevin Flynn, but Sam's father, who's created himself a Buddhist-like dwelling complete with go board, surprises Sam by being emotionally detached ...

Kevin: The only way to win is not to play.

Sam: That's a hell of a way to live.

Kevin: But it is a way.

Sam: We can go home. Don't you want that?

Kevin: Sometimes life has a way of moving you past things like wants and hopes.

Sam: That's great Dad. Keep telling yourself that.

(later, when Sam's convinced his father to care enough to fight)

Kevin: You're messing with my zen thing, man.

I hate detachment :)

I have to admit that while the movie had some nice special effects, I was pretty disappointed in the storyline. The parts I liked best were the little dog that belonged to Sam - Boston Terrier, Marv :) .....



And Bruce Boxleitner (of Babylon 5 fame) who sadly only had a small role in the film .....



Roger Ebert liked the movie better than I did and gave it three out of our stars.


5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Basil Pennigton, Thich Nhat Hahn, the Dali Lama – all humorless, passionless zombies. That’s detachment for you.

Seriously, this is a situation where if you’ve had little or no actual related experience in your own life, you don’t know what the language is trying to talk about. To make matters worse, “detachment” is a misleading word.

Alignment – alignment with life beyond yourself, alignment with God, a passion that out-larges other desires in your experience, which, btw, you continue experiencing – that would be an improvement, but still… personally, I can’t imagine how I would have understood this subject prior to being thrown into it by a spontaneous mystical experience. In fact, now that I think about it, I didn’t. I just thought of that whole area as kind of weird.

All of us have experiences as kids that teach us it isn’t all about us. That’s not a life limiting thing it’s a life-expanding thing. So is “detachment.”

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Victor said...

The Love and Compassion that God has for ALL His Children.

I hear ya! There you go again with your so called capitalization of words that are way off topic which you think are important in some way and I ask you, why can't you just give "IT" ALL UP for awhile Victor? :(

All kidding aside Crystal, my wife and i saw this movie when it first came out in our city and if it popped up again I wouldn't run away from it cause there's always something new that our brain cells can focus on if you get my drift. Let's simply say that it is kind of like taste bud cells who change for whatever reasons.

I hear ya! Between you and me Victor and for what it is worth, you're always on topic but like this movie, we can often find you in a different realm if you know what I mean? :)

Hey crystal, if you can't understand me then who in reality can, i ask? :)

Are some of your brain cells trying to tell me crystal in so many brain wave thoughts that this movie really is a detachment of one self from his and/or her father? I guess that not even Shakespear would argue that the creator(s)is trying to tell us something profoundly deep within this movie but what is "IT"?

I wonder what Shakespear and the likes would think about me thinking that every word Jesus said can be taken literally if we had but one of His Father's Brain Cell's to define "IT" for U>S (usual sinners)?

I hear ya! Don't even think about "IT" Victor! Do you mean to say that you think that me, myself and i might someday be able to team UP with our soul, our spirit and if we will "IT" Jesus could be incharge of every one of our reality spiritual cells, whether they be good and/or bad and we could go round and round during eternity trying to find a happy balance in reality?

There's nothing wrong with you Victor! "IT" is the rest of the world! :(

NOW! Stop trying to put words in my mouth crystal cause you know that I would never say such a thing without first adding to "IT" something like our soul and spirit would ask Jesus and His Angels to take that entire spiritual/reality baggage to Our Heavenly Father and see what HE might think about "IT" first?

I must also add that from some of the stuff that you post girl, you sure have a twenty first century imagination crystal and I'm sure that some of the boys at our hotel of fools if they existed would certainly be interested in hearing all your thoughts, if you know what I mean? :)

You know what they say Victor! "IT" takes "ONE" to know "ONE!" :)

I'll close by saying God Bless you and your readers and thanks for the prayers you've sent my way.

By the way that sure was an exiting movie and a lot of fun was had disgusting "IT" with you. :)

Between you and me, I was happy when Sam and Kevin Flynn got out of that fictional world where "IT" was so much safer in the real world for them. Don't you think?

Peace

11:40 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Victor said...

>>I think detachment is cowardly, disingenuous, supercilious, and sad.<<

Did you get that sinner vic and sinner victor and if you did then go and tell those 95% spiritual and/or reality detached cells who really belong to Victor to come back home NOW before "IT" is too late for them. :(

I'm glad that you finally put them in their place Crystal and for what "IT" is worth, I knew you could do "IT!":)

Peace

1:26 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home