My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, April 04, 2011

Retreat week 27

This week of Creighton University's online spiritual exercises retreat (week 27) is about the last supper. We're asked to imaginatively contemplate the scene with ourselves as part of it, there with Jesus and the disciples when he washes our feet, passes us the bread and wine, tells us that one of us will betray him and that he will perish.

I find this contemplation hard because I feel guilty (one of us betrays him) and angry (he's going away from us) and depressed (he's going away through torture and death)

I pretty much like the version of this scene in the movie Jesus. It takes place in two parts, actually: the first part happens two days before Passover, when all are sharing a meal (women as well as men) ..... Judas tries to convince Jesus to lead the zealots in a coup against the Romans, to which Jesus responds by telling everyone that he's going to be killed. Peter, as usual, tries to talk him out of it, but this version also has Jesus' mother rejecting the idea of his death as well. He gives the explanation that it must happen because it's God's will (hate that idea) but later, when Jesus is alone with his very upset mother, she asks why he "has to" die and he elaborates.

Start watching the video at 1:17 into it until 4:40 ......



The second part, the actual Passover meal/last supper, is pretty short and has Jesus handing around the broken bread and the wine to the disciples (no women present, sadly), and telling them that one of them will betray him, and then bidding Judas to go do what he has to do ... interesting that he sends Judas off after he's asked him to eat the bread and drink the wine.

Begin watching the video 18 seconds into it until 4:33 ....




4 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Crystal! I ordered the film and got it a few days ago. Loved it! It was really good to see it as a whole, after seeing so many tiny parts.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Denny

9:43 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Denny,

Oh, I'm glad you liked it :) I never know if what I like will appeal to anyone else.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

How is the retreat going for you Crystal? It's your second time, I think.

11:12 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Henry,

It's different. I don't have a spiritual director this time, and my beliefs have evolved sort of from when I first tried it. Still, I do get the feeling that Jesus is kind of hanging around at times.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home