My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 06, 2011

Some stuff ...

Still reading (and liking) Ben Witherington's book, Making a Meal of It: Rethinking the Theology of the Lord's Supper. It's interesting to see the evolution of the ideas about what communion means, from the agape feasts, mentions of it by the early church fathers, the Scholastics, the Council of Trent, and the guys of the Reformation, to what we have now.

Think I may have mentioned this before - the book my sister's reading, The Third Wave: A Volunteer Story by Alison Thompson, and the documentary film made about the same subject, Thompson's volunteering in Sri Lanka. Here's the trailer of the film ...


And some music, this song, Soul Of My Saviour sung by the Truro Cathedral Choir, said to have been written by John XXII, who I came across when looking up the Spiritual Franciscans mentioned in The Name of the Rose ....



2 Comments:

Anonymous Paul Martin said...

Does the monastic tradition view communion in terms of the mystical experience of union with God? Seems like it would be a good fit and I do seem to have a vague recollection of having read stuff along these lines long ago - possibly Thomas Merton.

8:44 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Paul,

I'm the wrong person to ask, but there's a stated position in the Catholic catechism on what Catholics are supposed to believe about the eucharist, but I think individuals actually vary in what they believe. I don't think there's a monastic tradition that would be different, though, from the official church position. Towards the bottom of that catechism page it states what it be;lieves communion does for us.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home