My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Then he breathed on them

I like the version of the pentecost that's in John's gospel, Jesus breathing on the disciples, more than the version in Acts. Below you can see it portrayed in the movie The Gospel of John - it's a strangely gentle moment and not at all like the mayhem of Luke's pentecost :) Click on the video at about 3:32 minutes in ... The disciples were filled with joy at seeing the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father sent me, so I send you." The he breathed on them. "Receive the Holy Spirit." .....




6 Comments:

Blogger Dina said...

Happy Pentecost, Crystal!
Yes, it is a nice scene in your movie.

Makes me remember a hymn I heard in the little Methodist church in Arkansas: "Breathe on me, breath of God."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEW3KvNFR5w and the words are at the bottom.

Do you know it?

12:54 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Dina,

No, I've never heard that one. It's lovely, though. So many hymns I'm not familiar with, not having grown up going to church.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Dina said...

Well, I only got to know Christian hymns when I was over 50, while volunteering at Heifer Ranch, AR.

Thanks for that cheese link. Such an old operation! Shai's sons are continuing in the business too.

1:20 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yeah, Christmas hymns are the ones I know best too. Hard to be part of this culture and nor absorb them :)

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Victor said...

Crystal, I just came across this prayer and if only I had learned "IT" as a child then with GOD's Help, "I" might still know of "IT".

A PRAYER OF ST. AUGUSTINE


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit,
that my thoughts may all be holy.

Act in me, O Holy Spirit,
that my work, too, may be holy.

Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit,
that I love but what is holy.

Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit,
to defend all that is holy.

Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit,
that I always may be holy. Amen.


God Bless

3:11 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks for the prayer, Victor.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home