My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

The debate

I watched the presidential debate between Obama and Romney. My main comment: an aggressive Romney lied a lot. The sad thing is that there are probably a number of voters who either won't notice or won't care. As this post at The Atlantic notes ...

10:16 p.m. It's hard to keep up with all the little fibs and deceptions that Romney weaves in to his remarks with such speed and tenacity. Off the top of my head ...

Romney claims he never said Romneycare should be a national model. He did. Romney claims he never promised to cut taxes for wealthy. His plan did. Romney claims he won't change Medicare for current seniors; repealing Obamacare will do exactly that. Romney claims he covers pre-existing conditions - in every meaningful way, his plan does not. Romney claims ...

[...]

10:30 p.m. Here's my reaction at the close. I'm a partisan, so take my thoughts for what you will.

Romney was aggressive and did pretty well for him. And it helps when you can just disregard your old positions and count on voters having imperfect memories and information. It was his debate strategy in primaries and it remains his strategy now. It's ugly and frustrating (see my earlier posts below), and a reminder of why Mitt Romney doesn't strike me as a man who ought to be in the White House. It's the conviction with which he expresses views on issues where earlier he trumpeted different views just as strongly. Makes me nervous! He also came off as testy and officious at times, especially when dealing with Lehrer. Rude, like a guy who cuts you online at the DMV and acts like you're out of order for being bothered.


I hope he doesn't win! :(

8 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Imburgia said...

I also hope that Romney loses, but I thought he gave the best performance by far tonight. Obama was never a really a great debater or a good interviewee either, and tonight he was worse than usual. Spectacle and performance supersede veracity in politics (the ‘human condition’ and all that). Bad night for (little t) truth. obliged.

8:43 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Daniel,

Yeah, it does seem that in televized debates, appearance is almost everything. I'd say that the kind of person who values appearance over truth deserves Romney, but unfortunately we'll all get him if he wins.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Never heard of the "Gish Gallop" debate strategy til I read this today: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/04/1139926/-Romney-Won-Using-a-Debate-Technique-Called-the-Gish-Gallop
Maybe some sour grapes, but interesting :)

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Victor said...

(((The debate
I watched the presidential debate between Obama and Romney. My main comment: an aggressive Romney lied a lot.)))

That's not very Christian of you crystal. We should never call someone a liar unless we truly believe "IT" and even then we should have second thought and let them defend themselves. If they do a good job of defending themselves and the other parties don't stick UP for themselves then maybe that person might actually not be a liar?

THAT WILL BE ENOUGH OUT OF YA sinner vic cause you have no right to say such a thing. Crystal has always been very kind to all of U>S on her blog and the worst she's ever said about Victor is HI and to top "IT" all she continually keeps giving a smile to all of U>S (usual sinners) so just "Shut UP"! right NOW?

Like "I" said Victor, I'll SHUT UP when you SHUT DOWN!

Sorry Crystal! I tried quietly talking to sinner vic's imaginary friends but there's times when I honestly believe they really do believe that they exist. Personally "I" think that they should have sinner vic committed but the Senior doctors keep saying that there's nothing wrong with him.

GO Figure! :)

Peace

2:43 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Richard,

Thanks for the link ... Mitt-Etch-A-Sketch-Romney :)

They were following the debate at dotCommonweal last night and many of those for Romney seemed completely un-fazed by the fact that he was lying. All they seemed to care about was that he seemed very upbeat (I'd call it manic).

4:32 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor,

I do really think he was lying in that much of what he said during the debate was at complete odds with what he's been saying up to this point.

I guess it's Christian to gve people the benefit of the doubt but I'm not a very good Christian ;)

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Victor said...

For what "IT" is worth, Victor thinks you're trying but you're also only human. :)

Peace

4:40 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I agree with you, Crystal.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home