My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

More about Steve Chalke



Remember the news about Steve Chalke's stance on same-sex relationships? There's a post at CIF Belief that mentions another atypical stance he took, this one on atonement ...

[...] In 2004 Chalke precipitated a fierce debate in evangelical circles when he published The Lost Message of Jesus. In this text he suggested the traditional evangelical understanding of the crucifixion – as the moment when God punishes an innocent in place of a guilty, fallen, humanity – was a form of "cosmic child abuse". Instead, Chalke asked his fellow evangelicals to recast the execution of Christ as "a vivid statement of the powerlessness of love". The Evangelical Alliance was less than keen on this suggestion and held a public debate in Westminster amid suggestions that Chalke might cause a split in the organisation. Chalke survived this controversy and remained a prominent figure in the evangelical movement as head of the Oasis church in Waterloo ...

The posts asks if Chalke still counts as an Evangelical. I don't know about that, but I'm starting to really like him :) Here's a talk he gave that I thought was quite good (it takes a few minutes to begin) ...




4 Comments:

Blogger William D. Lindsey said...

Crystal, thanks for this and the other valuable resources you're making available about Chalke. I find them really helpful as I try to learn more about him.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Dyan said...

Hi Crystal, thanks for posting this - very motivating!

9:28 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi William,

I'm just learning about him too. I don't know much about Evangelicals, but he seems like an ok guy.

1:39 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Dyan,

Thanks. I thought so too - I felt very happy after listening to it :)

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home