My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Learn a new thing a day with Fringe

;)

In this episode, the FBI agent, Olivia, in injured as she's returned from the parallel universe I mentioned earlier. She woke up saying something mysterious. Here Peter reminds her of this ...



Να είναι καλύτερος άνθρωπος από τον πατέρα σου .... Be a better man than your father

From looking around online it seems some think this is derived from what Hector prayed ...

With this, glorious Hector held out his arms to take his son, but the child, alarmed at sight of his father, shrank back with a cry on his fair nurse’s breast, fearing the helmet’s bronze and the horsehair crest nodding darkly at him. His father and mother smiled, and glorious Hector doffed the shining helmet at once and laid it on the ground. Then he kissed his beloved son, dandled him in his arms, and prayed aloud: ‘Zeus, and all you gods, grant that this boy like me may be foremost among the Trojans, as mighty in strength, and a powerful leader of Ilium. And some day may they say of him, as he returns from war, “He’s a better man than his father”, and may he bear home the blood-stained armour of those he has slain, so his mother’s heart may rejoice.’
- Homer: The Iliad, Book VI

Hmmm - maybe it's finally time to rent that old movie Troy. Or not - the story of the Iliad is incredibly sad (I posted about another movie, Helen of Troy here)


6 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

Said,I'm sure, by many moms to many sons in many languages. Really enjoyed Troy, one of those movies I seem to keep watching whenever it turns up.

9:07 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Really? I seem to remember it getting bad reviews but I think I'll sign up for it from the library. Thanks :)

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Greeks,Trojans,spears,shields,chariots and Brad, what more could you ask for? Popcorn maybe :)

10:58 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yeah, but everything ends so badly for almost everyone. Greek comedies never get made into movies :)

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Richard said...

I know, I keep thinking they're going to wise up about the horse trick, but they never do. Tragic :(

2:54 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

"What's that? A giant hollow horse from an anonymous donor? Of course I''l sign for it!"
;)

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home