My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 11, 2013

How not to care

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

Tonight's episode of Fringe mentions the above quotation from Marcus Aurelius. I first learned about him from my college boyfriend, who was really into Roman history. Aurelius was a sad guy - his wife ran around on him, his son was a psychopath, and he was at war with the northern barbarians, so perhaps it's no great surprise that he was also something of a philosopher and wrote a book, the Meditations, about how to be a Stoic (how to basically not care that your life is in ruins ;). I did like what he had written very much and toted his slim book about with me during college, trying my best to not care about how screwed up my own life was. Yyou can read his book online here.

If you want to learn more about Marcus Aurelius in a semi-painless way, try watching The Fall of the Roman Empire ...

a 1964 epic film starring Sophia Loren, Stephen Boyd, Alec Guinness, James Mason, Christopher Plummer, Mel Ferrer and Omar Sharif .... considered unusually intelligent and thoughtful for a film of the contemporary sword and sandal genre and also enjoys a 100% "Fresh" rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

And of course Aurelius had a bit part in Gladiator. Here we see Maximus (Russell Crowe) speaking to Marcus Aurelius (Richard Harris) ....



And now back to Fringe.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Victor said...

(((The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.)))

NO! NO! Victor don't read the rest cause Crystal is just teasing YA, we're the only gods that YA should listen to and we can't allow YA to read the rest in this twenty first century NOW!

Crystal! Crystal! Crystal! We 98% gods of Victor can not allow YA to be writing stuff like this in our "TIME" NOW! Listen Crystal if YA want to be with U>S gods your brain cells must get on side and quit encouraging those two per sent age retardo cells of Victor's spiritual reality body flesh NOW!

Don't YA understand that we're in The End Days and The NORTH is ON security alert and if "I" can't discourage you, the alien gods are thinking of having U>S replaced with a Canadian scare crow hat in our space and hearing stuff like that is like listening to Victor's soul telling U>S that when his GOD (Good Old Dad) passes gas, Galaxies are being created as we speak NOW!

The true reason that "I'M" in a pan ick, "I" mean in a panic Crystal is because there was a so called "MAN" who was spreading that same kind of rumor about being "The Word" and longer story short, don't YA ever be caught reading stuff like http://blog.adw.org/2011/07/three-characteristcs-of-the-diabolic-and-how-they-are-manifest-in-the-modern-world/

Come on girl! What were YA thinking? Do you really want me to relinquish power to http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/2013/05/pennsylvania-student-charged-in-nude-pope-parody/comment-page-1/#comment-69422

Long story short Crystal just tell Victor to go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV0XZSKqTYE
cause we're not having any of "IT" NOW! Right? Trust U>S and...........

End YA say sinner vic?

Hi Victor! I was just trying to explain to Crystal how http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/2013/05/10/why-werent-embassy-attacks-under-bush-clinton-investigated/
are getting carried away picking on humanity NOW!

Come to think about "IT" sinner vic! "I'M" also kind of worried cause when me, myself and my GPS went out for our Time Horton coffee i counted seven beautiful flowers on my wife's lawn who have almost been killed by Jack Frost.

See what "I" mean Victor! The drugs that Mother Nature is on are way too strong and between YA and me GOD should just fire those 12 months, "I" mean Mother Nature's children and hire U>S (usual sinners) and "I" ask YA why do you, "I" mean humans want to die with their boots on NOW?

Go Figure! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0go5Q_v0EIk

Peace

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home