My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, November 18, 2013

Pacific Rim



This weeks' movie rental was Pacific Rim ....

Pacific Rim is a 2013 American science fiction monster film directed by Guillermo del Toro, written by del Toro and Travis Beacham, and starring Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Robert Kazinsky, Max Martini, and Ron Perlman. The film is set in the 2020s, when Earth is at war with the Kaijus, colossal monsters which have emerged from an interdimensional portal on the floor of the Pacific Ocean. To combat the monsters, humanity unites to create the Jaegers: gigantic humanoid mecha, each controlled by two pilots whose minds are joined by a neural bridge. Focusing on the war's later days, the story follows Raleigh Becket, a washed-up Jaeger pilot called out of retirement and teamed with rookie pilot Mako Mori as part of a last-ditch effort to defeat the Kaijus.

The movie is pretty fun but there's not enough time for much character development or detail, so you might want to read the book - I got it from the library and it made watching the movie more enjoyable.

Wired liked the film: Pacific Rim Is Literally the Most Awesome Movie of the Summer .... TIME magazine, not so much: Pacific Rim: Transformers Transcended. Here's Richard Roper's review ...


5 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

When I rented this I had no idea what it was about -- thoroughly enjoyed it. I decided to get the kindle novelization for my clunky bberry tablet from Amazon and discovered somebody in my household already bought it. YAY!

6:41 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I think I saw it at the library in kindle form and tried it because I had nothing else to read but it was better than I had thought it would be :)

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

The Library has stuff in kindle format? Cool, how does that work?

7:44 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

The library has a website where you can search the catalog for books, including ebooks. You can put a hold on the one you want and when it's ready you can download it. There are different formats but the one I use sends you to Amazon.com where you get a page as if you were buying the book, but instead you 'borrow' it. It's neat :)

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Okay, now I just have to find my library card:(

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home