My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Links

- Nick King SJ: What was the first Christmas like?

- What Does “Happy New Year” Even Really Mean? ... Physicists engage in a strange debate about whether time really passes

- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious. Hmmm - I still think they can happen sometimes.

- The latest movie I saw was Guardians of the Galaxy ...

a 2014 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name .... and features an ensemble cast including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, and Benicio del Toro. In Guardians of the Galaxy, Peter Quill forms an uneasy alliance with a group of extraterrestrial misfits who are on the run after stealing a coveted orb.

It was pretty fun. There was one character, a genetically modified raccoon, who was kind of disturbing, not because he breached the uncanny valley but because he was so sad in his unique aloneness. Here's a bit from some reviews (from the Wikipedia page) ...

The Daily Telegraph '​s Robbie Collin said, "A brand new summer family blockbuster this may be, but it plays by old, half-forgotten rules; trimming out the clutter and cross-referencing for snappy, streamlined, Saturday-cartoon fun".[222] Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times said, "Blessed with a loose, anarchic B-picture soul that encourages you to enjoy yourself even when you're not quite sure what's going on, the scruffy Guardians is irreverent in a way that can bring the first Star Wars to mind, in part because it has some of the most unconventional heroes this side of the Mos Eisley Cantina."[223] Manohla Dargis of The New York Times said, "While Guardians takes you down one after another crazy narrative turn, it also pulls you into – and, for the most part, keeps you in – a fully realized other world."[224] ...

And a trailer ...


2 Comments:

Anonymous Henry said...

Hi Crystal, it's Henry!

I just want to wish you and your sister a blessed Christmas.

I also liked Guardians of the Galaxy and I look forward to the sequel.

Happy new year too my friend.

Peace,

Henry

P.S. I also recently watched "Little Miss Sunshine" - you might like it too.

11:56 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Henry :)

It's good to hear from you! Thanks for the good wishes. I hope the same for you and also your sister. I haven't seen "Little Miss Sunshine" but I think I remember my sister liking it. I'll have to check it out. Merry almost Christmas :)

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home