My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, April 06, 2015

The week of movies: day 1



I've collected a pile of movies from the library, some old and some pretty new, and I thought since they have to go back soon I'd watch them in a week and write short reviews. The first one I actually watched a couple of days ago ... The Imitation Game ...

a 2014 historical thriller film directed by Morten Tyldum, with a screenplay by Graham Moore loosely based on the biography Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch as the British cryptanalyst Alan Turing, who helped solve the Enigma code during the Second World War and was later prosecuted for homosexuality.

I had been familiar with Alan Turing and had posted some stuff about him before: The Turing test and the Chinese Room (2009) ... Enigma, Alan Turing, and Blade Runner (2012) ... We need a new test (2014). It was interesting to see the film. Benedict Cumberbatch was very good, of course, and there was a fun part about a crossword puzzle Turing had put in the paper to find brainy co-workers (you can see it here).

However, I probably shouldn't have read the Wikipedia page's section on the inaccuracies of the film before watching it - I then spent the whole time saying to myself 'that didn't really happen!' ;) An article on this issue from The New York Review of Books: A Poor Imitation of Alan Turing.

I do think it's worth watching. Here's a trailer ...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home