My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

The week of movies: day 2



This day's movie was Left Behind ...

a 2014 American apocalyptic thriller film directed by Vic Armstrong and written by Paul LaLonde and John Patus. Based on the novel of the same name written by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, and starring Nicolas Cage, Chad Michael Murray, Cassi Thomson, Nicky Whelan, and Jordin Sparks, the film was released on October 3, 2014, and was universally panned by critics .... .

I told myself Nick Cage could save the film, I told myself it couldn't be as bad as the book from which it was adapted, I told myself there was no way they could make the apocalypse boring ... I was so wrong ;)

The movie deals with those people who are left behind on earth to face a time of horrible tribulation, while instead all the correctly believing Christians experience that great cosmic upsuck, the rapture ...

In Christian eschatology the rapture refers to the belief that either before, or simultaneously with, the Second Coming of Jesus Christ to earth, believers who have died will be raised and believers who are still alive and remain shall be caught up together with them (the resurrected dead believers) in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. The concept has its basis in various interpretations of the biblical book of First Thessalonians .... In the pre-tribulation view, a group of people will be left behind on earth ....

I did actually read the first book of that series ... I find religious horror sort of intriguing ... but a better pick for those interested in this end-of-the-world scenario would be the Christ Clone Trilogy. I'm looking forward too to renting the tv series The Leftovers ... The Leftovers takes place three years after a global event in which many people disappeared, known as the "Sudden Departure", which caused the unexplainable disappearance of 140 million people, 2% of the world's population.

Here's Richard Roeper's review of the movie. I agree with his assessment ...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home