My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, May 07, 2015

The Avengers, the Black Widow, and sexuality



The latest Avengers movie is in the news .... Avengers: Age of Ultron' to stay on top as 'Hot Pursuit' makes debut ... even Christians apparently like it ... Surprised by hope: Why Christians flocked to ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron,’ an atheist’s film

There's been talk about the movie related to sexuality. Some of the talk was critical about the dialogue in the film ... Is There Really a Rape Joke in Avengers: Age of Ultron? ... but most of the talk has been about the Black Widow ... The Avengers’ Black Widow Problem: How Marvel Slut-Shamed Their Most Badass Superheroine.

The issue came up on Saturday Night Live ...



For me (and many others) a creepy thing was the recent interview in which Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) and Chris Evans (Captain America) deemed the Black Widow a slut, a whore, and as having a prosthetic leg - ableism and slut-shaming ....



Perhaps this seems harmless to some but I'll let Spencer Kornhaber at The Atlantic make the case for why it's not ... Black Widow's Smurfette Problem

I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie and also the cross-over Ultron episode on the tv series Agents of Shield which I've been watching on Hulu ... Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Inside the tie-in to Avengers: Age of Ultron.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

We went to see the Avengers yesterday. Have to admit I completely missed the "prima nocta" comment, nonetheless it seems odd and completely unnecessary given the audience, i.e. me and the other 12-year-olds

1:41 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Oh, I envy you! I'll have to wait to rent it. Yeah, every now and then there;s a weird line, like in the last Avengers, Loki calling Natasha a "mewling quim". It's strange because Joss Whedon seems pretty much a feminist.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/27/mewling-quim-and-that-mid-credit-smile-in-the-avengers-movie/

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home