My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Getting stuff off my chest

I just keep going over and over this stuff in my head and I don't want to devote any more of my life to thinking about it .... maybe if I just get this all off my chest, I can leave it behind ....

I've tried joining in discussions at different blogs on the subject of the Planned Parenthood videos. Most of the other people were pro-life and there really *was* no discussion, because, you know, you can't have a discussion with "evil godless slaver nazi baby killers" (translation: pro-choice people). What I have to keep reminding myself of is that these people are a minority, that this isn't how most Catholics feel .... Poll: 50 percent of all Catholics support abortion in ‘all or most cases’ and Public Opinion on Abortion Slideshow

I'm kind of horrified by the attitude among many pro-life people that the ends justify the means .... there are many posts out there justifying the lying by the makers of the Planned Parenthood videos because it was for a good cause. They say that sting videos are by their very nature deceptive. Yes, but sting video-makers lie to organizations hiding the truth so it can be revealed to the public. In this case, the makers of the Planned Parenthood videos lied to everyone - to Planned Parenthood and also to us, the audience .... PP was *not* selling body parts for profit.

One wonders them where pro-life people will draw the line - if lying is ok to defeat abortion, how about intimidation, assault, kidnapping, arson, bombing, murder? The pro-life movement has done all these things and though they may try to distance themselves from the actual perpetrators, their vicious nazi-themed rhetoric encourages violence.

And I have to say that I find it hard to believe that most pro-life people actually do care about the abortion rate. Studies have shown that the use of contraceptives can drastically lower the number of abortions, but pro-lifers appose women's access to cheap and efficient contraception. Even pro-life people are aware that defunding Planned Parenthood would actually cause a rise in the abortion rate, not decrease it. Read more: To minimize abortions, give more money to Planned Parenthood

2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

May be its because I came late to the party, but there is a dynamic at the root of the pro-life movement that I do not understand. But, I don't think its healthy, I don't think its rational, and I don't think I can fix it.

3:19 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Me joining the church after I was an adult, I had spent all the time up til then being a liberal democrat, so pro-choice. I used to think I understood, though, why someone would be pro-life. But the more I've gotten to know of the movement, the less sense it makes to me .., they must realize that totally outlawing abortion will never happen here, and even if it did, that it wouldn't mean the end of abortion, but they still won't do the other things that would help reduce abortion.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home