My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Holy Saturday


- the Garden Tomb

So, What Did Jesus Do On Holy Saturday? ... was he in hell, harrowing, or was he in paradise with the repentant thief? I would rather believe he was in paradise. But maybe he just stayed put in the tomb ...

Saturday Night in the Tomb - William Coleman

I like to imagine Him dancing there,
testing his limbs' limits once more, fitting
back into his body the way we might
slip back again into a forgotten
favorite shirt crumpled in the closet,
finding ourselves wrapped in an old love's
scent and remembering the moonflowers
opening in our gaze, steadying
for another long, glorious night of worship.
That's the God I believe in—the one
who can't wait to roll back the rock, leave nothing
behind, make an appearance everywhere,
yet who still loves these nights alone, the cool
darkness of His room, that sweet, solitary
music that keeps Him humming long after the dying's done.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dina said...

Wow, another surprising and great poem! Thanks again.
I've been in the tomb that you show in the photo and indeed, there is enough room inside for dancing. :)

When I sat on the floor looking at my statue, saying "I'm sorry it had to be like this," I was half afraid he would open his eyes.

1:30 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Dina. Yes, I imagine seeing the realistic statue must be very sad. I've never been in a tomb before - all my relatives have been cremated and there aren't even any graves. If I ever get to visit Israel, maybe I can see some of these interesting spots. Thanks for posting the poem in your comments box :)

6:45 PM  
Blogger Dina said...

That's kind of sad that you have no family graves to visit or tend. But I guess it is becoming more and more the American way.
I do hope you get to Israel someday. You make me realize that one could make a fascinating week's tour just exploring ancient tombs and old and new cemeteries around the country.

1:13 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

It would be fun! :)

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home