My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, December 18, 2017

The tax bill: being Christian

The hardest job in this country is being poor. And tax bills like this ensure that poverty for many many people is going to be both a life sentence and a death sentence. And we ignore it. - Mike Barnicle on Morning Joe ...



Republican lawmakers pride themselves on being Christians. The subject Jesus spoke the most about in the gospels was money ... about the ethical pitfalls of being rich and the importance of helping the poor. The tax bill helps the rich and the people who will feel the worst effects of it will be the poor.

We don't talk about those who are at or below the poverty line because, I guess, it's just too icky to think of them. As far as I can tell, politicians never talk about them, not even the Democrats. They believe poor people don't vote (Bernie Sanders actually said this) and so the poor can be forgotten with impunity. Maybe I wouldn't care if I wasn't so close to being poor myself, maybe I'd clutch my riches to my chest and chant "mine, min, all mine" too, just like Trump and his Republican lackeys. I hope not.

Republican lawmakers voting for this bill - you are not Christians.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dyan said...

I agree - they're pharisees.

6:30 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yeah. I guess we're all pharisees sometimes but the Republicans seem to be making a habit of it.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home