My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Fig goes to the clinic



Today was our first appointment at the SPCA to take one of the cats to get spayed/neutered. Up to now I have been taking the cats to the veterinarian that I visited when I had my original four cats, but that's just too expensive now - the last spaying there was $500+ but getting Fig spayed at the SPCA was just $50.

This was also the first try at catching one of the cats with the trap and it worked. Fig went wild when the door closed but I threw a cloth over the trap and talked to her and in a minute or two she became quiet and still. My sister arrived and gave me a ride to the clinic, about 10 miles away.

The clinic had about 20 other people waiting with appointments for early Saturday morning. All kinds of people - men, women, children, young and old, but all connected by their cats. Interesting to hear the different names people had for them - one was named Marble :) The people working at the clinic were very kind and friendly and it took about half an hour to fill out the paperwork and hand Fig over.

We picked her up at 4pm and now she's in a medium sized cage in the garage, where she can recuperate without being bugged by the other cats. Tomorrow she can be let go, if everything seems ok, and then it will be on to catching and spaying/neutering cat #2.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

Wow, that's great that the SPCA will do it for 50 bucks. $500 is terrible. Our vet charges $200, and has a steep discount in February. I feel sorry for the kitties, especially the females, because it's rough on them until they recover. But one can't be a responsible pet owner and not have it done. And I think in the end they're happier and healthier.

3:16 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yes, I feel so guilty trying to catch them to take them for major abdominal surgery. Fig is doing really well, though. It hasn't even been a week and she is running around like normal. She is cat #8 that I've managed to get spayed/neutered since they started showing up in the yard a few years ago. Still 5 or 6 to go.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

Can you get any help from the feral cat rescue groups?

4:36 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I have talked to Alley Cat Allies, but they seem to be made up of volunteers who will leave baited traps in your yard overnight and then pick them up the next day to take to vets they choose if you have vouchers. But I wouldn't want to leave traps out overnight because they could catch the wrong cats, catch possums or skunks, and the cats that did get caught would have to be in the traps too long. Plus I'm not sure if the places they take them for the operations are very good. I had hoped too that they would help find homes for the cats or kittens, but they don't do that.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home